United Technologies for Kids (UTK) is a nongovernmental organization in Lima, Peru, whose mission is to promote science and technology in high schools in developing countries.
- UTK’s recent accomplishments include:
- Won the optiMize Social Innovation Challenge in 2017
- Expanded UTK STEM Labs Program to 25 schools in Peru and Colombia —which will benefit more than 1,500 students
- Created a network of student organizations in six Peruvian universities and institutes, so students can volunteer to teach STEM at high schools
- Raised more than $30,000 in investments from three private firms in order to deploy our program in low-income high schools
- Facilitated a partnership with MIT Science and Technology Initiatives (MISTI) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to deliver STEM Labs programs in Peru
“I think it is key to get out of your comfort zone and not be afraid to fail. You will never be 100% prepared and have everything planned out to pursue a project, idea, or venture, which is why a lot of people never start anything in the first place. We are constantly learning and improving, so don’t get disappointed if you don’t get the results you want immediately.”—Giuliana Huerta-Mercado, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, 2019, Founder & President